torsdag 12 mars 2015

Dateline reflections

I think it is time for some random photos again, a couple of them including my feet. You know, these regular photos you get on your feed when your (annoying) friends go abroad on a sun trip.
I don't have any white, sparkling beaches as a background but I rather revel in what I have. A metallic hull (or I just want to be annoying, because I can).


So these two guys are the main entertainment on board. The American, Kyle, on the left, self-proclaimed party dude and the most fun guy on board, is also blogging and I will link to his blog in short order for anyone interested in his view of the same cruise.
The guy on the right, Andy, is my German roommate. He has been a source of good advice and opinions throughout the course, when he isn't sleeping that is (which is most of the time).
On this picture they are both sampling for their experiments off the second 200 m CTD cast.
Out of the impending threat of a copyright lawsuit I'm not adding a picture of the Italian and my colleague in lab, Andrea. He is a fancy piece of clothing though, and good fun (No Kyle, he does not sound like Luigi in the Mario Brothers when he speaks). 


First "feet-picture". This is my little hide-out where I'm supposed to get my beauty sleep. These last few nights the waves have increased in size and intensity, so sleep has been a reluctant commodity. Since I prefer sleeping lying on my side, a proper wave hitting the hull of the ship in front would flip me over, every single time. Finally, after two nights of battle with gravity I found that some sweet metal music in my ears did wonders.


Second "feet-picture". See what I mean? It ain't pretty but it sure is comfortable after a hard day at work. My poor numb right pipetting thumb was happy to have a rest in the hammock on front deck. I was even accompanied by dazzling sunlight and a slight breeze of 30 degrees celsius. As always, the clouds put up a show which made me fall asleep.


Finally, I've had an emotionally tough week. The days have been drifting past in a snails pace, and we've had to change our clocks on several occasions (going across time zones) and also re-visiting the same day twice (dateline). It has been fairly calm and harmonic for two weeks after the initial two weeks of badly missing my fiancée and kids. Now, as the 2/3 time mark of the cruise draws near, I find myself with the same feelings of longing and aching loneliness (although I'm far from alone). I've on several occasions pictured my return, embracing her, and it is always a scene where I probably will shed a tear. However, it always feels good.
At least my "out-at-sea-facial-hair" is coming along nicely (and no, no "seastasch").

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar