onsdag 4 mars 2015

A day of many things

5/3
So this past day was an intense one. First off, being the first short duration station (SD) in a week, and then so many different things required my attention. I got to bed at 02.30 in the morning and was so tired that I actually missed breakfast, turning off my alarm in the following morning without even noticing. Now it was for once a good thing that the French have their lunch so early (11.00), because I could go straight out of bed, feeling miserable, and down to the mess for brunch, which effectively made me feel less like a hungover teenager.

Firstly, the start of the previous day had us clean out and prepare the lab and qPCR for the SD sampling, which went smooth enough. We even had the time to hit the sunny front deck for an hour.
Secondly, today we also had to decide upon the shipping of samples and equipment back to Sweden after the cruise. I know it is a bit less than a month left but better be prepared and in good time. I would hate to see our samples (which need to be stored and shipped frozen) go to waste because we postponed our decision. We had a bit of a disagreement and communication mishap with our supervisor concerning this, which put me in a foul mood that evening, until I had the time to reply and elaborate on our decision to ship our samples using a recommended French company in Tahiti.
Thirdly, we also had a scientific meeting with one of the research teams on board (this time the physics oceanographers) presenting their data so far, to the rest of the cruise participants.
This took way more time than  I thought it would and since there aren't enough chairs for everyone in the conference room I had to stand (or sit on a sharp edge, numbing my butt) for hours. I quickly got fed up with it.
However, in the middle of the meeting a couple of people from the crew sneaked in and set up a computer with speakers. No one payed them any heed and all of a sudden a silly song in French sounded loudly in the whole room. Startled, everyone started laughing, and they laughed even more when someone in the crew jumped into the room, dressed in the orange immersion suit (environmental life suit, you look really stupid in it) with colorful paper circles taped on his back. He then started dancing in a silly manner, somewhat reminding me of an old friend's poor imitation of Zoidberg from the TV-show Futurama, and hugging everyone in the room. The silly music was still playing by the way.
Apparently today was an annual celebration of some kids TV-show in France. I've never heard of it, but it was a fun distraction from the internal waves measurements in the presentation from the last long duration station (sorry, but you should really get more chairs).
Fourthly, I was contacted by a local newspaper from my home town who asked me to participate in their next issue of "Xtra" which is published once a month (thanks mom). So I had to take a few additional pictures to send them.
Fifthly, SD sampling which was a pain as late as it turned out to be (21.00).


I'm very happy that I despite all the work this day managed to get an hour of calmness on front deck
today, just enjoying the sun and watching the waves roll by as the ship made haste for the next SD.
I know I've said it before, but I can't help being awed by the endless ocean and horizon stretching out around me.
I find it both humbling and inspiring and front deck is a great spot of contemplation. Gazing up at the thin clouds unfolding across the light blue sky like a soothing blanket of white feathers, it made me feel slightly better as the breeze brushed my face and the sun warmed my back.
I felt small but full of possibility. The vast nothingness that is the open ocean is my possibility and I'm right now just a tiny speck in one such ocean of possibilities.
With that thought I once again looked up and tried to point out directions and wondering how far I would be able to see if  I was on the same altitude as the thin clouds. Could I see the curving of the globe? Probably, but not too far in the distance then, even on this bright day, certainly not as far as Sweden. How I miss my fiancée and my kids.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar