tisdag 3 februari 2015

The beginning


The picture shows where it all started. In the Gullmar fjord outside of the marine research station Kristineberg (University of Gothenburg). Well, to be honest the dream of being a full fledged researcher emerged a lot earlier than that, but this was were I unconsciously chose my research interest. After my master thesis I could title myself a marine microbiologist.

With that said, what I'm doing now is actually living my dream. As many wise people have proclaimed, it's not all about the goal but about the journey to it. I feel that this is certainly true in my case. A year ago I had a "regular" job and happened to come across a scientific program on TV one evening. There I saw marine biologists studying certain parameters at sea. I told myself that THAT is what I would REALLY like to do. Now, one year later, I'm going on my own research cruise.

There have certainly been speed bumps along the way, but the trick is to try and keep up the speed once you've passed over it. Perhaps even pick up a bit of a bounce to more easily clear the next one. Because there sure will be another one down the road, no matter which road you pick.
Starting a family has been an adventure in its own, and also a challenge, but it has been one separated from my adventures in academia. Going home to visit them on a weekly basis only - sometimes longer than that - has been, and still is, tough for all of us. Thankfully, they are supportive, which demonstrates that starting a family while building a career is not impossible it just requires more effort.

In the end I am doing this for all of us. For me, for them. I'm living my dream.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar