onsdag 11 februari 2015

Deadline

This will be my last post before leaving swedish soil.
It is with mixed feelings I'm writing this, and I don't know why. Perhaps it is the family guy in me expressing his feelings at the same time as I'm feeling excited about going abroad again in work purposes.

Today was the deadline for my final written assignment before going on the cruise, my "State of the Art", which basically is a review on the up-to-date research in my field. It has been a lot of work, mostly reading some 50 scientific papers, and then writing an information packed assay.
The purpose of this assignment is to quickly get knowledgeable in my field and gain a few written credits for my PhD study plan. The only one who's actually gonna read it is my supervisor (a bit sad, but true, considering the amount of work). However, I'll let you in on a little secret, I wrote most of it in three days, due to several circumstantial events.


I have also gotten my planned onboard workflow accepted by my supervisor, which was a great confirmation of me actually grasping my research on board.

Our equipment have been sitting in customs in Noumea for a couple of days now and after getting a rather desperate e-mail from our shipping agent in Sweden saying that the receiver is unavailable, we started reaching out to people involved (actually doing their job for them, but what can you do when time is running short). To our dismay it turns out that 2 out of 3 contacts are on vacation and the third is unresponsive. How could we not have gotten this information before shipping!? Fingers crossed that responsible persons on site will help us out (since their information have clearly been lacking, bloody french... :-P).

Well, the best lessons learned are the ones by trial and error, right? Hopefully it won't be a complete disaster at least, because that would be a rather hard lesson for such a major event this early in my PhD.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar