måndag 16 februari 2015

Bound for Nouméa

The following is an excerpt from my physical journal that my thoughtful fiancée gave me for x-mas.
It was scribbled down during my 26 hour flight from Sweden to New Caledonia:

15/2
This will be my first entry on my two month journey that will take me to the South Pacific for sampling for my PhD.
We are just about to depart Amsterdam with the destination Osaka, Japan. It will be an 11 hour flight over Siberia.
I won't lie, I'm quite nervous about this whole trip. It has been a long time since I've been out this long and far. In addition to that I'm now supposed to work as well. Get scientific methodology done right.
Last time I was abroad for longer than two weeks was my 'round the world trip back in 2007-08. I've come a long way since then, and I'm positive that that experience has given me plenty of confidence well needed for this journey.
I'm embarking on something that most people will never have the opportunity to do and I'm thrilled about it, but at the same time I have a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat this first day of my journey.
I know very well why, and it is because of one of the major differences from my adventures back in 2007-08... I have a family of my own now.
I suppose I didn't really know the extent of my emotions until now, even though I could imagine this day as it drew near.
I know that I will see them all again soon enough. Two months is, comparably, not a long time, but it is the longest I've ever been away from them.
My beautiful fiancée, standing strong in my absence. She kept it together this morning when I could not. I'll be man enough to admit that I shed a tear when I got into my dad's car and left for the airport.
My awesome kids (even though they drive me nuts sometimes), waving me off from the window.
I sorely miss them all already. It is a collective feeling hard to fully describe nor comprehend.
If you've been there you know. If you one day get there, you will surely know.
Thank you my love for this small journal, it actually meant a lot to me. Now I'm carrying you all with me.


16/2
At least I think it's the 16th.
It was a long flight from Amsterdam to Osaka, but the night passed very fast even though I probably didn't sleep more than an hour in total. However, I'm not feeling particularly tired. I suppose that's due to increasing excitement as the final destination and actual start of work approaches.
Osaka airport was rather confusing and also stressful, getting to the connecting flight in time.
Thankfully the japanese staff was very helpful, especially as my colleague had some issues with his check-in and baggage. In the end it turned out that it was all due to the staff in Stockholm Arlanda not doing their job.
In the end we got on our 8 hour flight bound for Nouméa, after many confusing questions and directions mainly in french or japanese (I don't reckon looking particularly japanese).


Now we have finally arrived safely at our hotel Nouvata Parc in Nouméa. It is almost 2 O'clock in the morning and it's time to hit the sheets before some last on-site cruise prep at the local research institute, the IRD, in a few hours. Aliquots and dilutions. Pipetting at its finest!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar