torsdag 3 maj 2018

Safely arrived in Barbados

Leaving a cold, 7 degrees C, Sweden behind. Below you can the see Gothenburg archipelago and in the distance the city of Gothenburg.

I arrived in Bridgetown, Barbados, yesterday afternoon local time.
It took a while to get through customs and immigration, mainly because they ran out of forms for us to fill out beforehand on the airplane.
The immigration officer had a few questions about my stay, but nothing major and after getting my two checked bags I went through customs who wanted to take a peek inside my metal box (filled with research supplies). It was fairly brief really, and I was soon on my way to the hotel via a shuttle bus that I booked before leaving Sweden.

Panorama of the beach outside my hotel, which is the yellow building to the right. Panorama is nice, but my camera doesn't really do this scenery justice (poor exposure)

After arriving I sat down to go through my emails and final preparations before the cruise. The plan was for me to head out and get some supplies and something to eat, but when I was finally done with my computer work I was way too tired to even leave the room. Getting up at 5 o'clock in the morning with only 4 hours of sleep and then with a subsequent day of travels (extended by 6 hours due to flying west over multiple time zones) certainly takes its toll.
My plan was to not sleep anything on the airplane as not to be too jet-lagged once I arrived in Barbados (it certainly made that commitment a lot easier having a long list of new cinema releases at my hands on the airplane entertainment system).
In the end it worked fairly well, even though I was tired and still didn't sleep as heavy and long as I usually do (woke up at 5.30 local time).

One part of the Gap at 6.30 in the morning, so very empty and quiet in difference to the evenings and nights.

This morning I had a little stroll down the Gap (to a nearby supermarket), which is the street I'm staying on. It's basically a beach front street peppered with bars, restaurants and nightclubs. After that I had breakfast at my beach front hotel, all alone. It seems that it's off-season.
Anyway, so far it looks like an amazing place and I'm planning to at least have a walk along the western beaches when I'm done with my work today. They look really nice, with fine, white sand. There's some sea going on at the moment so the waters aren't as blue-turquoise as when I flew in, but the breeze is refreshing since humidity is fairly high and the temperature is around 30 degrees C in the shade.

I just have to make sure I put on proper sunblock, since I've already done that mistake one time too many in my days.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar