fredag 4 maj 2018

Just a taste

The first day in Barbados was relatively uneventful.
I continued working on my computer, to write a really detailed and easy to follow daily sampling routine for the work at sea. I would like the base sampling to be as smooth as possible as to enable me to, if opportunities arise, think more freely on spontaneous sampling or experiments in case we encounter bloom densities of the DDAs.

Apart from work I met up with the two German scientists joining the cruise and we ended up going for food, drinks and swimming at the Boatyard (Brownes Beach), which was really nice. I also got to try the famous Rum Punch made on local rum.
The Boatyard is basically a beach bar with some water activities tied to it. I'm sure that it would have been a lot more lively if it wasn't for the fact that it's currently off-season. By 19.00 we were the only ones there...

Brownes Beach at the Boatyard.

So my limited experience of Barbados so far is that it's an amazingly friendly place. The people are in general very nice, polite, social and laid back, even to strangers, which is not something I'm used to being a Swede.
This behaviour even applies to traffic!
Walking down the street, people would greet you. Ordering food or drinks, the bartender would introduce himself/herself and engage in conversation. Their language is very polite, and honking your horn in traffic means 'thank you' or 'hello'. And they honk a lot!

Today I moved over to the research ship docked at the Bridgetown Cruise Pier and got settled in in my cabin, got all my stuff stashed away and had a short look around the ship.
After trying to WiFi with a phone call home (which worked ok, but had a few seconds delay) I went to the Boatyard again together with some of the ship crew. Most of the science party was already there, drinking local beer (very very light) and socializing, so it was nice to finally meet everybody.

The research vessel.

Tomorrow I will set up my equipment and practically prepare for departure on Sunday. Hopefully I'll get a good spot in the lab.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar