måndag 31 augusti 2015

SAME14 conference Uppsala

Second conference on Aquatic Microbial Ecology, was held last in Uppsala this week.
It was my first opportunity to present my science so far and reap the fruits of my hard lab work these past three weeks.

Most of the presented work during the conference was in the form of oral presentations in front of all participants. Most of it was very interesting, but since the conference wasn't exclusively marine, then some freshwater work was a bit hard to relate to.
As a whole, the conference was heavy on metagenomics and genome sequence approaches, which is super cool, but also difficult to follow sometimes. I will most likely do some genomics of my own further down the road, so I tried to stay focused during all talks. One of the most interesting talks on the topic however, was actually one with hard criticism against how the massive data derived from metagenomics is handled and the lack of consistency between studies. Most often what is presented and compared in a metagenomics study are the different OTU's (Operational Taxonomic Unit) acquired from the data. Part of the criticism against the use of OTU's was that they are difficult to define and usually pre-determined by the researchers of each individual study, meaning that the term OTU can have a wide variety of meanings. They are therefore impossible to compare in a larger context between studies. It is also difficult to assess what the massive dataset from metagenomics actually tell us, where OTU's hardly help.
As of now, I have no idea how to approach this issue, but I'm sure things will be more clear down the road. There was also a metagenomics study presented during the conference where they actually didn't use OUT's.

The other big part of the work presented at the conference was in the form of four poster sessions. It was here that I presented my work. It is a very limited format, much more so than oral presentations even though they had to be no more than 12 min long.
Imagine squeezing in your research on 140x100 cm, knowing that most people won't read a single line of what you've written. This calls for some serious presentation skills where the pictures, graphics and plotted statistics have to tell most, if not all, of your story all by themselves.
In addition to the poster I also had two shots at a speed talk (30 sec) in front of a limited crowd. This was probably among the hardest kind of oral presentation I've ever done. 30 seconds is an extremely short time when you have so much to say. Even though I wrote and practiced my talk, nervousness got the better of me the first time around, but I quickly got to redo the talk and redeem myself.
All in all I was very satisfied with my poster presentation and I really loved to communicate my research and answer a lot of questions from other curious scientists.

I also attended a workshop on communication and outreach during our "day off", which turned out to be a lot more informative and interesting than I thought.
The whole point was to further our skills in reaching out with our research to the broader public. Try to make science a topic of discussion and an interest, not just among scientists of respective fields. Some fields like astronomy have already come a long way with their outreach, but biology has a long way to go.
I was mostly interested in deepening my knowledge on online outreach as to reach as much people as possible. Internet is a powerful tool if you know how to use it, and the take home message I got is that it is mostly about finding and using several channels (of the right topic) to convey my message down the line.
By that said I have now done something I told myself I would never do: I got myself a Twitter account. #MStenegren #MarineBiology.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar