tisdag 8 augusti 2017

Seminars and presentation techniques

I thought about writing a blogpost about cross-hybridization after my last post which barely touched upon the tricky issue. However, two rather technical blog posts in a row might be a bit too much to digest.

So, instead, after having two scientific seminars (about my research) in three weeks, I decided that it would probably be a good idea to write about my experience and thoughts on my presentations and also presentations in general.

I feel that I've talked enough about my licentiate seminar, so I will kick off by mentioning the nice introduction I got from my PhD colleague at the beginning of my last seminar. I was fairly well informed about the content of the introduction (since he asked me about it), but one thing that still got me thinking was when he mentioned that I co-hosted a PhD workshop/course on communication, feedback and presentation techniques earlier this year. It was very successful (based on participant evaluations) which opened up for further development and a chance to host it again next year.
One of the most common questions that I got during the workshop concerned a list of recommendations, or do's and don't's, of oral presentations. I was a bit reluctant to answer this question, especially since we touched relatively little on this subject in our theory and the presentation techniques were mostly based on self-development and feedback from the participants. I also believe that there is not one single recipe that fits everyone in this case, rather I think each and every speaker have to find their own personal style and the tricks that make them comfortable standing in front of a crowd.

So, where am I getting with this? Well, after my two recent seminars, and getting lots of positive feedback from both fellow PhD students and faculty, I might not be giving myself enough credit in terms of my knowledge in presentation techniques (and perhaps even my research).
I think anyone who has ever acquired a Masters degree (or similar achievements) is familiar with the question: "what the have I really learned during these years" when looking to, for example, apply for your first job.
Sure, I have no formal training in oral presentations, although I do have a neat little hardcover book in my office on how to improve your oral presentation skills, but I haven't even nearly finished reading it. But practice makes perfect, right? And with enough experience you're sure to at least know a few tricks of your own. However, never underestimate the importance of watching and learning from other great speakers. They are great because they had the courage to walk that uncomfortable path of trial, error, feedback and improvement.

With that said I would like to share my experience, feelings and thoughts on the recent seminar and oral presentations in general. Perhaps some of it might be incorporated into the next workshop. Who knows.


1. Preparations

A good presentation is based on good preparations. Of course this entails having a solid story and/or material to talk about. In my case, an overwhelming majority of my presentations use visual aid like a projector and PowerPoint. Visual aid, if used right, is a powerful tool, and it can also be used to direct a staring (and perhaps sometimes intimidating) audience away from you. However, is that always a good thing?
When you have your presentation set out and you know your format, we come to the more practical preparations. Personally, I like to set up, practice and get a feel for the lecture hall of my presentation beforehand. This way I can make sure that my slides work, I know if there are any pointers available and I can get a 'general feel' for the space that is my stage. However, when it comes to e.g. conferences, this might not be possible, so bring your own gear just in case.

2. Practice

Without visual aid, practice becomes even more important since you can't rely on any slides to help you back on track if you wander off into a dead end. Also, if English isn't your native language it could be even harder than usual to improvise even though you know your story very well.
So practice is key, but it is important to separate practice from learning. Learning your talk is what you do in front of your computer, manuscript in hand perhaps, while practice is what you do 'on stage'. However, when you practice you chose both the setting and the stage. It could be talking to yourself in the mirror or gathering a group of friends as audience in an otherwise empty lecture hall. In preparation of my licentiate seminar i practiced in the actual lecture hall of my licentiate seminar, with and without an audience, every day for two weeks.

3. Feedback

Unfortunately feedback is often overlooked or confused with criticism, and both givers and receivers are responsible for this somewhat lingering mentality.
So from now on, stay away from the word 'criticism' and instead use constructive feedback, both when giving and receiving. Constructive feedback can in turn be either positive or negative, but it's still constructive! Constructive as in a tool for improvement. Because it is important to highlight both that which can be improved and also reinforced.
Feedback could be uncomfortable at first, so bring your friends and close colleagues to your practice talks.
I specifically asked for feedback at three different practice occasions from three different audiences (background, expertise, age, gender, etc.). All their different feedback significantly helped me hone in on the kind of talk and message I wanted to deliver to my intended audience.

4. Consistency

Being a consistently great speaker is unfortunately not just finding your comfort zone and blast through everything you want to say to every audience you will ever have the fortune to stand in front of.
Even a comfortable speaker will have to reflect upon the message being delivered and how to deliver that message. Most, if not all, depend on the audience and the setting. Are you presenting for your peers or a group of school kids? Even if it's an audience of scientists, do they know your field as well as you or your grandmother? Are you the first speaker or the last speaker of the day? Both scenarios might mean that you will have to try extra hard for their undivided attention.
Simplifying and explaining important concepts in detail helps, but don't be too long, and when people start to look tired, change your pace, voice tone and/or body language.

5. Body language

Right here is where your talk will be decided as great or not. Body language. It will not only affect your stance on stage, but it will also affect your voice, your breathing and your connection with the audience.
When I attended the introductory course in research studies in biology during my first year as a PhD student, we learned about something called the 'power spot'. It is not only a certain piece of ground, but also a stance by you, where you are at your most comfortable, confident and connected with your audience. Basically, you stand up front, on your two firm feet, looking the audience in the eye. If you can find your 'power spot', you've already come a long way. The opposite would be standing hunched behind a podium, looking at your own PowerPoint images the entire talk. We've all seen it, and know that it makes people cringe and lose focus.
In your 'power spot' you own the stage and the moment and even though you might be battling your nerves at that very moment, you will still radiate confidence. Time your talk with a few well placed breaks and allow yourself to breathe and the battle will be won. In my last talk I had shorter breaks (just breathe) of a few seconds and then three longer planned breaks where I took the time to zip some water. Trust me, it will help. I asked for specific feedback on this behaviour and everyone I asked thought of it as a sign of confidence or they didn't even notice. Sometime even the audience could use a breather.

6. Patience

After reading this blogpost, even after reading a whole book on the subject or watching a hundred TED talks, there will still be things that could be improved. This list is by no means comprehensive. If you want to be serious about nailing that perfect talk, set up goals along the way. Watch other great speakers and practice different approaches. No speaker woke up one morning, stood up in front of an audience and delivered the most mind-blowing talk ever! It will take time and effort, and likely it's a journey without a final destination.
Personally, I will likely never be fully rid of my nervousness prior to a talk, no matter the context or the audience, but I've learned how to deal with it, and if I compare to where I started I've undoubtedly come a long way. I was on the verge of throwing up prior to talks in high school - where did you start, and where are you now?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar