onsdag 3 juni 2015

Lunch-time introductions

I've been extremely busy these last few days. I haven't even had the time or the energy to write anything. The days so far have been very long and very intense. Total information overload, which is good I guess. That is why I'm here, to learn as much as possible from the very best. At the same time though, it definitely takes its toll. I'm not used to sitting down and listen for hours on end so the coffee breaks with awesome snacks and pastries are lifesavers together with the occasional interactive lecture by the faculty.

To make a long story short (because now I'm tired), this is without a doubt one of the best and most satisfying courses I've ever had the fortune to participate in. I've met so many new people in my community of microbial oceanography, world leading experts and emerging experts. Everyone have been very friendly and we've been encouraged to build on these networks for future collaboration to more easily further our research. It's an ingenious concept but like everything else of use or value it requires some effort.

A few days ago I held an introductory talk on myself, which was actually something I've never done before. It was an odd feeling to stand in front of everyone, student and faculty alike and tell them about my life, early career and choices/interests that brought me to where I am now. However, most people seemed genuinely interested which was very satisfying, especially since I think that I do have a good story to tell, having been outside of academia for most of my early career (in difference to most other researchers).

This week we started with the lectures on and preparations for the genomics and transcriptomics sampling (as well as Illumina sequencing) that will be done and processed before the end of the course. This is in my opinion a complex methodology which I have very limited experience and knowledge of. A good reason for staying on my toes. At the same time it's a really cool scientific approach which I'm hoping to apply on my own research back in Stockholm so I'm really trying to make the most of it. I also learned how the flow cytometer works today, which was awesome. I've always wondered about that, especially since a lot of people seem to use that instrument. Basically it is single cell counting and sorting at an extremely high rate. The design of the instrument is relatively simple which just makes the instrument better, and who doesn't like shooting intense rays of laser at stuff, eh?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar